Mark S. Bauer, MD
Dr. Bauer's research has focused on collaborative chronic care in serious mental illness, with an emphasis on bipolar disorder. His work includes longitudinal, multi-site randomized controlled trials in the Veterans Affairs Medical Center system, and in a private, staff-model HMO. He has also conducted post-hoc data analyses of these trials, and created second-generation models for interventions among a variety of populations in various health care environments.
- Director, VA National Bipolar TeleHealth Program
- Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- Attending Psychiatrist, VA Boston Healthcare System
- Investigator, Center for Organization, Leadership, and Management Research Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, Department of Veterans Affairs
- MD, 1982, University of Pennsylvania
- Bauer, M. S., Biswas, K., & Kilbourne, A. M. (2009). Enhancing multi-year guideline concordance for bipolar disorder through collaborative care. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 166(11), 1244-1250.
- Kilbourne, A. M., Lasky, E., Pincus, H. A., Good, C. B., Cooley, S., Basavaraju, A.,…Bauer, M. S. (2008). The continuous improvement for veterans in care: Mood Disorders (CIVIC-MD) Study, aVA-academic partnership. Psychiatric Services, 59(5), 483-485.
- Kilbourne, A. M., Post, E. P., Bauer, M. S., Zeber, J. E., Copeland, L. A., Good, C. B., & Pincus, H. A. (2008). Therapeutic drug and cardiovascular disease risk monitoring in patients with bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 102(1-3), 145-151.
- Kilbourne, A. M., Post, E. P., Nossek, A., Sonel, E., Drill, L., Cooley, S., & Bauer, M. S. (2008). Service delivery in older patients with bipolar disorder: A review and development of a medical care model. Bipolar Disorders, 10(6), 672-683.
- Zeber, J. E., Copeland, L. A., Good, C. B., Fine, M. J., Bauer, M. S., & Kilbourne, A. M. (2008). Therapeutic alliance perceptions and medication adherence in patients with bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders, 107(1-3), 53-62.
- A Career in the VA
- A Fabulous Place to Do Research
- An Eye on the Big Picture
- Getting into the VA
- Longitudinal Career Considerations
- Love and Work
- Minimizing Respondent Burden
- Pros and Cons of the VA