Andrew A. Nierenberg, MD
Dr. Nierenberg's research focuses on the treatment of affective disorders, including treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and juvenile bipolar disorder. He has also explored the longitudinal course of affective disorders, management of antidepressant side effects, and pharmacoepidemiology. He directs the NIMH Bipolar Trials Network and has worked on NIMH contracts for the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD) and Sequential Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D).
- Co-Director, Bipolar Clinic and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Associate Director, Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Associate Professor of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School
- MD, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University
- Cusin, C., Hilton, G. Q., Nierenberg, A. A., & Fava, M. (2012). Long-term maintenance with intramuscular ketamine for treatment-resistant bipolar II depression. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 169(8), 868-869.
- Deckersbach, T., Holzel, B. K., Eisner, L. R., Stange, J. P., Peckham, A. D., Dougherty, D., D.,...Nierenberg, A. A. (2012). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for nonremitted patients with bipolar disorder. CNS Neuroscience and Therapeutics, 18(2), 133-141.
- Ellard, K. K., Deckersbach, T., Sylvia, L. G., Nierenberg, A. A., & Barlow, D. H., (2012). Transdiagnostic treatment of bipolar disorder and comorbid anxiety with the unified protocol: A clinical replication series. Behavior Modification, 36(4), 482-508.
- Fava, M., Targum, S. D., Nierenberg, A. A., Bleicher, L. S., Carter, T. A., Wedel, P. C.,...Barlow, C. (2012). An exploratory study of combination buspirone and melatonin SR in major depressive disorder (MDD): A possible role for neurogenesis in drug discovery. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 46(12), 1553-1563.
- Nierenberg, A. A., Friedman, E. S., Bowden, C. L., Sylvia, L. G., Thase, M. E., Ketter, T.,...Calabrese, J. R. (2012). Lithium treatment moderate-dose use study (LiTMUS) for bipolar disorder: A randomized comparative effectiveness trial of optimized personalized treatment with and without lithium. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 170(1), 102-110.
- A Critical Mass
- As Long as It Was Fun
- Good Mentors Share Resources, Opportunities, and Time
- Mutually Beneficial
- Revise Again
- Word of Mouth