Charles F. Reynolds III, MD
Dr. Reynolds is internationally renowned in the field of geriatric psychiatry. His primary research interests focus on mood, grief, and sleep disorders of later life, with a particular focus on mental health services in primary care, improving treatment strategies, depression prevention, and promotion of brain health in older adults. He has been named several times as one of The Best Doctors in America and is the 2012 recipient of the APA Jack Weinberg Award for lifetime contributions to geriatric psychiatry. He has served as chairman and member of several research review committees at the NIMH, as a member of the National Advisory Mental Health Council of the NIMH, and as President of the American College of Psychiatrists. He is also a member of the Pennsylvania Long-term Care Commission and of the Pennsylvania Alzheimer’s Disease State Planning Committee.
- Endowed Professor in Geriatric Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Professor of Behavioral and Community Health Sciences, University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health
- Director, Aging Institute at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, University of Pittsburgh, and the NIMH-sponsored Center of Excellence in the Prevention and Treatment of Late Life Mood Disorders
- Director, John A. Hartford Center of Excellence in Geriatric Psychiatry
- Chair, Sleep Wake Disorders Workgroup for the DSM-5, American Psychiatric Association
- Editor-in-Chief, American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatric Society, beginning 2016
- MD, 1973, Yale University, Medicine
- Reynolds, C. F. III, Thomas, S. B., Morse, J. Q., Anderson, S. J., Albert, S. M., Dew, M. A., … Quinn, S. C. (2014). Early intervention to preempt major depression in older black and white adults. Psychiatric Services, 65(6), 765-73.
- Gallo, J. J., Morales, K. H., Bogner, H. R., Raue, P. J., Zee, J., Bruce, M. L. and Reynolds, C. F. III. (2013). Long-term effect of depression care management on mortality in older adults: A cluster randomized clinical trial in primary care. British Medical Journal, 346, f2570.
- Diniz, B., Butters, M. A., Albert, S. M., Dew, M. A., Reynolds, C. F. III. (2013). Late-life depression and risk of vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis of population-based cohort studies. British Journal of Psychiatry, 202, 329-335.
- Cuijpers, P., Beekman, A., Reynolds, C. F. (2012). Preventing depression: A global priority. Journal of the American Medical Association, 307(10), 1033-1034.
- Reynolds, C. F., Butters, M. A., Lopez, O., Pollock, B. G., Dew, M. A., Mulsant, B. H., … DeKosky, S. T. (2011). Maintenance treatment of depression in old age: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled evaluation of the efficacy and safety of donepezil combined with antidepressant pharmacotherapy. Archives of General Psychiatry, 68, 1-10.
- Care and Feeding of CRABs
- Community Boards Build Legitimacy
- Good Data Management
- Junior Faculty Scholars Program
- Multidisciplinary Team Mentoring
- Outline for a Successful Research Career
- Retirement is Unnatural
- The Challenge of Health Disparities
- The Future of Psychiatry
- Time Management
- Treating Depression in the Community