Oscar A. Barbarin, PhD
Dr. Barbarin studies the relationship among family, community, and health. He is also interested in the effects of early childhood intervention and the etiology of achievement and underachievement in ethnic minority children.
- The Lila L. and Douglas J. Hertz Endowed Chair in Psychology, Tulane University
- PhD, 1975, Rutgers University, Clinical Psychology
- Barbarin, O.A. (2010). Halting Black boys' progression from pre-K to prison: What families, schools and communities can do! American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 80, 78-86.
- Early,D.M., Iruka, I.U., Ritchie,S. Barbarin, O.A., Winn,D.C., et al. (2010). How do pre-kindergarteners spend their time? Gender, ethnicity, and income as predictors of experiences in pre-kindergarten classrooms. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 25, 177-193.
- La Paro, K., Hamre, B., LoCasale-Crouch, J., Pianta, R., Bryant, D., Early, D., Clifford, R., Barbarin, O., Howes, C., Burchinal, M. (2009). Quality in kindergarten classrooms: Observational evidence for the need to increase children”™s learning opportunities in early education classrooms. Early Education and Development, 20 (4), 657-669.
- Mashburn, A.J., Pianta, R.C., Hamre, B.K., Downer, J.T., Barbarin, O., Bryant, D., Burchinal, M., Clifford, R., Early, D., & Howes, C. (2008). Measures of Classroom Quality in Pre-Kindergarten and Children's Development of Academic, Language and Social Skills. Child Development, 79(3).
- Aikens, N.L., & Barbarin, O.A. (2008). Socioeconomic differences in reading trajectories: The contribution of family, neighborhood, and school contexts. Journal of Educational Psychology, 100(2), 235 - 251.
- Dealing with Haves and Have-nots
- Do Your Homework
- Hold Each Other Accountable
- I Broke All the Rules
- International Work Expands Personal Horizons
- It's the Fulfillment of a Dream
- Relationships are Like an Onion
- Start with a Key Informant
- Supporting Student Collaborations
- Things Don't Always Go Smoothly